We see this not only in Deuteronomy, but right from the beginning in Genesis when Adam and Eve got kicked out of the Garden for disobeying His command to stay away from that tree in the middle of the garden - Genesis 2:15-17. Just a few examples:
- Deuteronomy 11:1 - "Therefore, you are to love ADONAI your God and always obey his commission, regulations, rulings and mitzvot.
- Deuteronomy 11:22 - "For if you will take care to obey all these mitzvot I am giving you, to do them, to love ADONAI your God, to follow all his ways and to cling to him,
- Deuteronomy 11:27 -the blessing, if you listen to the mitzvot of ADONAI your God that I am giving you today;
- Deuteronomy 11:28 -and the curse, if you don't listen to the mitzvot of ADONAI your God, but turn aside from the way I am ordering you today and follow other gods that you have not known.
- Deuteronomy 11:8 - Therefore, you are to keep every mitzvah I am giving you today; so that you will be strong enough to go in and take possession of the land you are crossing over to conquer;
- Deuteronomy 12:1 - Here are the laws and rulings you are to observe and obey in the land ADONAI, the God of your ancestors, has given you to possess as long as you live on earth.
- Deuteronomy 12:28 - Obey and pay attention to everything I am ordering you to do, so that things will go well with you and with your descendants after you forever, as you do what ADONAI sees as good and right.
- Deuteronomy 13:18 - provided you listen to what ADONAI says and obey all his mitzvot that I am giving you today, thus doing what ADONAI your God sees as right.
- Deuteronomy 13:4 - You are to follow ADONAI your God, fear him, obey his mitzvot, listen to what he says, serve him and cling to him;
- Deuteronomy 15:5 - if only you will listen carefully to what ADONAI your God says and take care to obey all these mitzvot I am giving you today.
YHWH also, since the very beginning, has warned His set-apart people to STAY AWAY from paganism - even going so far as to tell them to not only "drive out" but "kill" the pagans His people encountered during their 40 years in the wilderness. (See, for example Genesis 15:16, Numbers 31:15-18, Deuteronomy 2:33-34, Numbers 21:25, 2 Kings 21:11, etc.)
Numbers 9:5 It is not because of your righteousness, or because your heart is so upright, that you go in to take possession of their land; but to punish the wickedness of these nations that ADONAI your God is driving them out ahead of you, and also to confirm the word which ADONAI swore to your ancestors, Avraham, Yitz'chak and Ya'akov.
But the Israelites, like all humanity, kept forgetting the warning to obey the commands and refrain from pagans and their ways. So, it's no wonder that Israel is today involved in a war against the Muslims! Why, you ask? Well, look at what happened in 1948 when "the world" briefly felt sorry for "the Jews" after the Holocaust. Instead of kicking out the "squatters" who had settled the barren desert that was then Israel (which those squatters called Palestine), they allowed them to remain and become integrated with them.
However, what does Genesis 16:13-16 tell us? That Ishmael - Isaac's out of wedlock half brother - conceived by Sarah's servant, Hagar (because Abraham and Sarah didn't believe YHWH when He told them the aged Sarah would have a son!) would be "...a wild donkey of a man, His hand will be against everyone, and everyone's hand will be against him; and he will live to the east of all his brothers." (See our article about Isaac and Ishmael.)
And who is "Ishmael"? THE MUSLIMS! They are the descendants of Ishmael, who - as promised - became a "great nation"....
YHWH loved Hagar and her son (after all, Hagar was innocent in all this!), and had mercy upon her and her son, Ishmael. He promised Hagar that her son would beget twelve princes who would become a great nation. Ishmael then went to live in the wilderness region of Hejaz in what became known as the Arabian Peninsula. He indeed had twelve patriarchal sons who became associated with the peoples known as Midianites, Edomites, Egyptians and Assyrians. The Bible and Islamic tradition both agree that Ishmael became the leader of all the great desert peoples of the Middle East.
This jealousy and resentment between Sarah and Hagar and their sons Isaac and Ishmael created an unparalleled hate which has set off wars and atrocities for four thousand years. It was the title deed to the land of Israel, which God promised to Abraham's lineage, that has been the source of the friction between the Jews and the Arabs right up to the present day.
"Ishmael" was, in essence, living in Israel when the world returned Israel to the Jews. The Jews failed to kick out the heathen (because they have always been kind and humanitarian). And now, innocents on all sides are suffering the consequences. So, the bottom line is: Had "the Jews" kicked the "squatters" out of Israel in 1948 like they were supposed to, then they wouldn't have had to endure the endless conflict caused by the squatters and their offspring who are now claiming "Palestine" belongs to them....
It's a perfect example of what happens when you are off YHWH's Path! You reap what you sow....